Please note the COVID-19 restrictions on entering Germany. Further details can be found on the website of the Robert Koch Institute.
Getting to Heidelberg
By train: One can directly reach Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof (main train station) from various cities in Europe, or can opt for a train to Mannheim, which is a bigger hub. From Mannheim, there are regular short distance trains (S-Bahn) towards Heidelberg, which take about 15 minutes.
By plane: The airports closest to Heidelberg are Frankfurt International, Stuttgart and Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden. Train and bus tickets to and from the airports can be booked, for example, with Deutsche Bahn or with FlixBus, respectively. In addition, the TLS shuttle service offers transport from Frankfurt Airport to Heidelberg.
From Frankfurt Airport:
- The TLS shuttle service picks up travelers from the main terminal and drops them off at their respective destination, making it the easiest way to get to your hotel in Heidelberg. The price is 40 EUR per trip.
- A second option is taking the train from the main terminal towards Heidelberg Hauptbahnhof (main train station). Most trains will require changing in Mannheim, which is only 15 minutes away from Heidelberg, by short-distance trains, which go every 10-15 minutes. Depending on the train and on the connections, the trip takes between 45 minutes and 1 hour.
- Another option is taking a FlixBus bus towards Heidelberg leaving from just outside the main terminal and taking approximately 1 hour. The final bus station in Heidelberg is just outside the main train station.
From Stuttgart Airport:
- The fastest way is by train, from the airport to Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof (main train station), and from there by train towards Heidelberg (with possible change in Mannheim). This option takes approximately 1:30 hours.
- FlixBus also offers transport from the airport towards Heidelberg, with duration of 1:50 hours.
From Karlsruhe/Baden-Baden Airport:
- There exist local buses (routes 234 and X34) from the airport towards Rastatt train station. From there one can take short-distance trains to Karlsruhe Hauptbahnhof (main train station), from where short-distance trains towards Heidelberg travel regularly and take 45 minutes.
- In addition, the bus 285 goes from the airport to Baden-Baden or from the Rastatt train station one can take a short-distance train to Baden-Baden. From there, companies like FlixBus offer transportation by bus, taking approximately 1:30 hours.